On 2009-02-20 13:20, Unknown wrote:
On 2009-02-20, Aahz<a...@pythoncraft.com>  wrote:
Steven D'Aprano<ste...@remove.this.cybersource.com.au>  wrote:

As I understand it, there's very little benefit to multi-cores
in Python due to the GIL.
As phrased, your statement is completely wrong.  Here's a more
correct phrasing: "For threaded compute-bound applications
written in pure Python, there's very little benefit to
multiple cores." But threaded I/O-bound applications do
receive some benefit from multiple cores, and using multiple
processes certainly leverages multiple cores.  If boosting the
performance of a threaded compute-bound application is
important, one can always write the critical parts in C/C++.

Do the crunchy bits of scipy/numpy, scientific python, vtk and
other compute-intensive libraries tend to release the GIL while
they're busy "computing"?

Often. Not as often as they could, sometimes.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco