Martin v. Löwis wrote:
mehow have picked up a latin-1 encoding.)
I think latin-1 was the default without a coding cookie line.  (May be
uft-8 in 3.0).

It is, but that's irrelevant for the example. In the source

  u'\xb5'

all characters are ASCII (i.e. all of "letter u", "single
quote", "backslash", "letter x", "letter b", "digit 5").
As a consequence, this source text has the same meaning in all
supported source encodings (as source encodings must be ASCII
supersets).

I think I understand now that the coding cookie only matters if I use an editor that actually stores *non-ascii* bytes in the file for the Python parser to interpret.