venutaurus...@gmail.com wrote:
Hello all,
           I am writing an application where I need to open a shared
file on a remote machine using python script. I tried using the
following function:

f = urllib.open("\\remote_machine\\folder1\\file1.doc")

         I also tried using

class urllib.FancyURLopener(...)

         but didn't work. Can some one help me in this regard.

What do you mean by "remote machine"? Do you mean you want to open a
file that's in a shared folder on a machine that's on the same local
network?

If it's meant to be a Windows filepath then it should be:

    f = open(r"\\remote_machine\folder1\file1.doc")

(If the file is a Microsoft Word document file, then you won't probably
be able to make much sense of its contents using open().)