I'm still learning, so eager to see if there is some community wisdom about use of the try/except structures in this situation.

I find myself with some potentially risky stuff and wrap it in a try/except structure with good functional results, though my code leaves me a bit uneasy. Maybe it's just esoteric, but your input is appreciated.

Consider

  try:
    do something 1
    do something 2
    do something 3
    do something 4
    do something 25

  except:
    print "Oops something didn't work"

The risky things are just 1 & 2, and the others are not of concern, but are dependent on 1 & 2. The alternative is to do:

  wentOkay = True
  try:
    do something 1
    do something 2

  except:
    print "Oops something didn't work"
    wentOkay = False

  if wentOkay:
    do something 3
    do something 4
    do something 25

Which seems a bit verbose, but likely the better approach. Is there some other option I should be considering?

Any input appreciated :)

Ross.