On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 02:41:23 -0000, MRAB <goo...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

Rhodri James wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:47:32 -0000, MRAB <goo...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

I'm not against putting a comma in the format to indicate that grouping
should be used just as a dot indicates that a decimal point should be
used. The locale would say what characters would be used for them.

I would prefer the format to have a fixed default so that if you don't
specify the locale the result is predictable.
 Shouldn't that be the global locale?

Other parts of the language, such as str.upper, aren't locale-sensitive,
so I think that format shouldn't be either. If you want it to be
locale-sensitive, then specify the locale, even if it's the system
locale.

Yes, but the format type 'n' is currently defined as taking its cues
from the global locale, so in that sense format already is
locale-sensitive.