Jim Garrison wrote:

Ah.  That's the Pythonesque way I was looking for.  I knew
it would be a generator/iterator but haven't got the Python
mindset down yet and haven't played with writing my own
generator.  I'm still trying to think in purely object-
oriented terms where I would override __next__() to
return a chunk of the appropriate size.

Give a man some code and you solve his immediate problem.
Show him a pattern and you've empowered him to solve
his own problems.  Thanks!

Python's iterator-fed for-loops are its primary motor for calculation. Anytime one thinks of processing successive items with a while-loop, one could consider factoring out the production of the successive items with an iterator. While loops are really only needed for repeated processing of a single object.

tjr