jefm wrote:
Hi,
We are looking to use Python on an embedded Linux ARM system.
What I gather from googling the subject is that it is not that
straight forward (a fair amount of patching & hacking).
Nobody out there that has done it claims it is easy, which makes me
worried.

Yes unfortunately its quite difficult. Been there, stopped at some
point. But for arm however you have some chances, see below.

I haven't seen a description on porting Python 2.6 or 3.0 yet. Is it
much different than for the earlier versions (the latest I have seem
is Python 2.5).

Does it matter whether Python is cross compiled to Linux 2.4 or Linux
2.6 ?

Can anyone point to a howto they know works well ?

What are the chances of an 'officially' supported ARM-Linux Python
distribution ?
(or is it safer to wait for industrial spec Intel Atom boards to avoid
the cross compilation altogether ?

Easier for sure.

What would it take for the Linux version of Python to be easily cross
compiled (i.e. would the Linux-Python maintainers be willing to
include and maintain cross-compilation specific functions) ?

Either throw the automake stuff away or correct it accordingly
to support target platforms different from build platform.

Let's say we can get it done.
How is the performance and stability of a working Python on an
embedded ARM-Linux system ?

Its working quite nice on my Psion 5MX installed via debian
packages. So I believe you should be able to work from
debian source packages since they are cross compiles as far
as I know.

Does cross compiling Python automatically include the standard Python
library, or is that yet another adventure ?

The standard lib is in python mostly so no worries. The only problematic
part can be various C extensions like zlib, curses, pthreads ... which
are all optional anyway.

Regards
Tino