RGK wrote:
I'm on mac os x 10.4.11 running python 2.5.2, and Django 1.0, but this is a python question.

When doing django/mod_python stuff, I can write to the Apache error_log file with

    sys.stderr.write("SOMETHING I WANT TO KNOW")

which had me wondering if there's not a means for a misc. python program to write to the Mac OS X console? That would be much nicer than having to open up the error log and inspect stuff, as then I could see debug info stream past on a console window.

(This is console, as in the "console" run from /Applications/Utilities, not the bash "Terminal")

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thx.

Ross.

Yeah, use the syslog facility, for instance:

import syslog
syslog.openlog("django")
syslog.syslog(syslog.LOG_ALERT, "Here is my syslog alert message")

It seems that anything below alert level isn't shown in the console.
I don't how to change this.

You might want to consider using the Python logging module instead?

--irmen