一首诗 wrote:
Hi all,

I am a programmer who works with some different kinds of programming
languages, like python, C++(in COM), action script, C#, etc.

Today, I realized that, what ever language I use, I always meet a same
problem and I think I never solve it very well.

The problem is : how to break my app into functional pieces?

My question would be why? Refactoring adds nothing to a functioning app but clarity and maintainability -- both admirable qualities, granted, and both unnecessary until needed. When I need to update an app is when I start refactoring, and then just those areas that need it. Certainly I refactor constantly during development to avoid code reuse through cut-n-paste, but once I've got it going, whether it's 1000 or 6000 lines, it doesn't matter as long as it works. I'll tease it out when the upgrades are needed, new applications can reuse pieces, or sooner if business refactoring requires it.

Emile, writing in the role of sole developer and maintainer of 500k lines of code dating back 35 years...