Roel Schroeven wrote at 01:45 4/17/2005:
Dick Moores wrote:
M.E.Farmer wrote at 23:18 4/14/2005:

> >Using the GNU "bc" utility:
> >
> >   $ bc -l
> >   bc 1.06
> >   Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
> >   This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> >   For details type `warranty'.
> >   scale = 3000    # number of output places wanted
> >   obase = 12      # output base
> >   print 4 * a(1)  # pi = 4*arctan(1)

Wow! this got me the 3003 (changed from 3000) digits of pi to base 12 in 60.8 secs. No, I didn't count them yet, nor am I sure they're correct. But I'd bet on them..
Could someone remind me how to get the output of bc -l into a text file on Windows? (I've tried employing " > pi3003.txt" in various ways) OR, how to copy and paste from the command line window, or whatever that window is called? (Sorry for the OT question.)

Works for me (using the Cygwin version though) when I do

C:\cygwin\bin\bc -l > pi12.txt

But how or when do you enter the lines

scale = 3000
obase = 12
print 4 * a(1)

Otherwise, to copy from the command prompt window: open the system menu
(icon in the top left corner of the window) and choose Edit->Mark. Then
select what you want to copy and press Enter or choose Edit->Copy in the
system menu.

Thanks! You've just relieved years of frustration.

Dick