On 2009-04-06 19:09, Rahul wrote:
Robert Kern<robert.k...@gmail.com>  wrote in
news:mailman.3316.1238893185.11746.python-l...@python.org:

To quickly find your hotspots, start by sorting by 'time' (that would
be displayed as the 'tottime' column in the human-readable output).
That tells you how much time is spent in each function itself,
excluding the time it spends calling out to other functions. For
example, per the docs under "Instant User� Ts Manual" (which you might
want to spend a little more time with):

    p.sort_stats('time').print_stats(10)

Thanks Robert. I was executing the profiler on the commandline like so:

python -m profile ~/bin/visualize.py *.nc

Is there any way to pass further options of the form sort etc. via this
invocation. The manual did not specify usage of this form.

$ python -m profile --help
Usage: profile.py [-o output_file_path] [-s sort] scriptfile [arg] ...

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -o OUTFILE, --outfile=OUTFILE
                        Save stats to <outfile>
  -s SORT, --sort=SORT  Sort order when printing to stdout, based on
                        pstats.Stats class

Additionally, you can run pstats on the outfile for an interactive viewer:

$ python -m pstats visualize.prof

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."