PK wrote:
So I'm trying to see whats the cleanest way to do this:

I have a

checklist = [ax, bx, by, cy  ..] (a combination of a,b,c with x and y,
either both on one)

Since you will be repeatedly looking for items in checklist, I suggest making it a set instead.

allist = [a,b,c,....]
xlist = [x, y, ..]

now I wanna loop through alist and xlist and see if the combination
exists in checklist

so something like,

for alpha in alist:
    for xy in xlist:
        if alpha+xy not in checklist:
            missing.append(alpha)

This will append alpha multiple times.  Not what you want.

now the problem is I want to include alpha in missing list only if
none of the combinations from xlist with alpha are in checklist.

    for xy in xlist:
      if alpha+xy in checklist: break
    else:
      missing.append(alpha) # or missing.add(alpha) if missing a set

tjr