Lawson English wrote:
Daniel Stutzbach wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:57 PM, dug.armad...@googlemail.com <mailto:dug.armad...@googlemail.com> <dug.armad...@googlemail.com <mailto:dug.armad...@googlemail.com>> wrote:

    Say you set out to program in Python knowing that you will be
converting parts of it into C ( or maybe C++) at a later date, but you
    do not know which parts.

I often use Python for rapid prototyping and later rewrite parts of it in C for speed. It's always been a pleasant experience, and I've yet to come across a Python construct that made my life especially difficult later. The value of rapid development and debugging algorithmic problems in Python has always outweighed the cost of later translating some of the code.

Hope that helps,

Linden Lab, makers of Second LIfe virtual world, found it was good to create a C++ class similar to a Python dictionary in order to leverage some of the faster prototyping advantages of that Python type
when converting to C++.

Google LLSD Linden Lab for more info.

Incidentally LLSD is a proposed IETF standard so there's no licensing issues involved in using the technique, and I believe there are implementations in C++ (GPL) and C#(BSD) and possible other languages as well.

L.