Matt Nordhoff wrote:
Esmail wrote:
Hello all,

I use the print method with % for formatting my output to
the console since I am quite familiar with printf from my
C days, and I like it quite well.

I am wondering if there is a way to use print to write
formatted output to files?

Also, it seems like I read that formatting with print is
going away eventually and we should start using something
else? Is that true and if so, what?

Thanks,
Esmail

Hi Matt,

String formatting has nothing to do with the print statement/function.
It's an operator, just like doing "foo" + "bar"; you can use it wherever
you want.

Ah .. so this means I could use this formatting with the
write method for files .. that is great news (you don't
want to see the ugly code I put together there .. :-)

See <http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting>
Also see <http://docs.python.org/library/string.html#formatstrings> for
information on the replacement for the old string formatting, Python
2.6's new str.format().

Will do .. so do you think it's good to move to the new format,
or will the older one still be around for a while?

Thanks again!

Esmail