On Sun, 03 May 2009 21:21:49 +0100, rose <rose.0...@gmail.com> wrote:

On May 3, 8:15 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st...@remove-this-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
On Sun, 03 May 2009 07:49:49 -0700, rose wrote:
> Hi,
>             I have an idea of the basics of programming language in
> general. How to access help in python i.e. help followed by something or > to get to know about some inbuilt module or method etc. how do I access
> help from within the IDLE using the help command.

> Thank You.

At the prompt, type any of:

help()

help(module)

help(function)

help(any_object)

help("keyword")  # note the quotes around the keyword

then hit Enter to get help about that object or keyword.

Many Thanks to you Steven, for such a concise explanation of using the
help. May I request some examples to make it a bit more explicit.

I'll try and expand on Steven's examples a bit, but really

help()

gives you quite a lot of the information anyway.  If you want help on
the "for" keyword, for example, type:

help("for")

(As Steven said, note the quote marks.)  If you want help on anything
else in Python at all, be it a function, module or object, then stick
that object in the brackets.  Thus:

help(123)

tells you all about Python's integers, while

l = [1, 2, 3]
help(l)

tells you about lists.

The only gotcha is that if you try getting help on a string object,
it thinks that you're trying to look up a keyword.  In other words:

s = "for"
help(s)

and

help("for")