Evan Kroske wrote:
I'm planning on learning Python, and I'd like to know which version to start with. I know that Python 3.0 isn't ready for production and it

3.1 will be. The first beta will be out very soon and 3.1 in less than 2 months.

doesn't have enough libraries yet,

That will take longer. I hope the improvement in 3.1 will inspire more conversions.

so I thought I should learn Python 2.6. Unfortunately, installing Python 2.6 on my Linux distro (Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex) has given me lots of complicated problems I really don't want to deal with.

My essential question is "Is Python 2.6 similar enough to Python 3.0 to justify its complexity of installation?" Upgrading to Jaunty is NOT an option (http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/2009/05/jaunty-jackalope-released-vista-all.html).

You could use 2.5 and write with an eye to the future. Use 'object' or some derivative thereof as a base for all your classes. Never use cmp() or .__cmp__(). Don't use string exceptions. Look in 3.0 What's new for anything else to avoid.

tjr