Donovan Parks schrieb:
Hello,

I'm new to Python and have what is probably a very basic question. I
am writing a helloWorld() function within a file called helloWorld.py:

def helloWorld():
        print 'hi'

Now, I can import and run this function:

import helloWorld
helloWorld.helloWorld()

Which will print 'hi' as expected. Now, I'd like to update this
function in my text editor so it is:

def helloWorld():
        print 'hello world'

Without having to exit my Python interpreter, how can I import this
revised function? If I do the import again:

import helloWorld

And run helloWorld.helloWorld() it will still print out just 'hi'.
I've tried deleting this function (a weird concept to me as I come
from a C++ background) using del helloWorld and than importing again,
but the function will still print out just 'hi'.

Can this be done? How so?

reload(helloWorld)

But there are some caveats, and IMHO reloading isn't worth the trouble - it is *so* easy to write a second script, test.py or whatever, that you just call from a shell. And this has the added benefit that you can create even somewhat more elaborate toy-code.

If one wants to play around with objects created, either do

python -i test.py

or try to use pdb, the python debugger, through

import pdb; pdb.set_trace()

to get an interactive prompt at whatever point you want.

Diez