Cameron Laird wrote:

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tiziano Bettio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
.
.
.

If u want to achieve high performance you'd rather use c++ and directly access libs like nvidias cg, ms directx or opengl...

.
.
.
Yes. Well, maybe. Python-coded programs, even graphically-intense
games, *can* exhibit good performance, and there are numerous anecdotes about applications LOSING speed on conversion to C++ from
Python. Moreover, there's no inherent conflict between C++ and
Python; some successful applications use both.

My summary: it's a subtler matter than, "for performance, abandon
Python on favor of C++". I think you know that, but I want to make
it explicit for less-experienced readers.

yeah well, i didn't intended to say it in this specific way. tough to be more exact: for a game you can realize up to 95% in python without losing the needed performance. but there's almost always a little part where u really need to get even the last bit of performance out of the hardware or where nobody has already ported the lib you need into python, where c++ comes in rather handy.

I didn't ment to offend any pythonian (wouldn't want to offend myself...), but i think we all agree that sometimes all of us have seen or even programmed something in c++ (or other languages) what could come in really handy for a project one is working on.

so again, didn't ment to say that it's a performance matter (there are thousands of bad c++ programmers out there which are hiding behind compiled code...) :)

cheers tc