Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2009 09:22:59 -0400, Esmail wrote:

Hello all,

I would like to maximize or minimize a given math function over a
specific set of values, in Python preferably.
What it apparently can't do is for maximize (or minimize) functions that
contain two variables, x and y, or more.

Function minimization is a well-studied problem. You will find oodles of references to doing function minimization if you google. In fact, if you google for "python function minimization" you should find about 63,000 links.

Hi Steven,

Right you are (63,700!) ... I don't know what search string I used
before, but clearly not this rather obvious one .. duh.

Minimizing functions of two variables is difficult, as a general rule. Nevertheless, there are tools for doing so. Check out SciPy.

I will - thanks. I have tools for 1D, I mostly am interested in 2D
optimization at this point, mostly as a way to verifying some results
I am calculating.

Hopefully SciPy will provide a nice simple interface to help me do
this.

Thanks,
Esmail