Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
In message <mailman.525.1242941777.8015.python-l...@python.org>, Christian Heimes wrote:

Welcome to IEEE 754 floating point land! :)

It used to be worse in the days before IEEE 754 became widespread. Anybody remember a certain Prof William Kahan from Berkeley, and the foreword he wrote to the Apple Numerics Manual, 2nd Edition, published in 1988? It's such a classic piece that I think it should be posted somewhere...

I only see used versions of it available for purchase. Care to hum a few bars?

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
 San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M, Skype erikmaxfrancis