imageguy wrote:
I have an object the I would like to use as a base class.  Some of the
methods I would like to override completely, but others I would simply
like to call the base class method and use the return value in the
child method.  The purpose here is to eliminate the duplication of
valuable code in the parent, when I really just need the child to
operate of a results of the parent.

Consider the following two classes;

class Parent(object):
    def process(self, value):
        retval = "Parent.result('%s')" % value
        return retval

class Child(Parent):
    def __init__(self):
        Parent.__init__(self)

    def process(self, value):
        retval = "Child.result('%s')" % super(Child, self).process
(value)
        return retval

So ....

foo = Child()
print foo.process('the value')
Child.result('Parent.result('the value')')
Try this

class Parent(object):

   def process(self, value):
       retval = "%s.result('%s')" % (self.__class__.__name__, value)
       return retval

class Child(Parent):
   def __init__(self):
       Parent.__init__(self)

foo = Child()
print foo.process('the value')
Child.result('the value'')

Of course you cannot see the inheritance in the result, but I'm assuming you
wanted only the instance class to be displayed.

Jean-Michel