"djw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> While I agree with (most of) your points, one should not overlook the
> fact that there are cases when performance does matter (huge datasets
> maybe?). Since the OP didn't indicate why performance was important to
> him/her, one cannot assume that its not a valid concern.

Yes, yes, but then - the converse would be true.  One cannot assume it *is*
a valid concern.

I could have gone further and pointed out that that RegEx module (now re !)
is probably just C code hooked to Python syntax.  IOW - the execution speed
of his RegEx module has *nothing at all* to do with the Python language,
only the efficiency of the particular code library he was using.

All in all, execution speed for any one particular task is a sucky way to
evaluate a general purpose programming language. If gonzo RegEx query
performance was of utmost importance, would anyone put either of Perl or
Python at the top of his list?

Thomas Bartkus