(Even if you don't want to receive email, could you please give your
actual name in the ‘From’ field instead of just initials? It makes
conversation less confusing.)

kj <no.em...@please.post> writes:

> But, minimally, the module needs to have some configuration details to
> know where to get the data. There are many ways to provide this
> configuration data to the module, but I would like to know what's
> considered "best practice" for this type of problem in the Python
> world.
>
> Ideally, I'm looking for a system that is unobtrusive under normal
> operations, but easy to override during testing and debugging.

The standard library provides the ability to parse plain text
configuration files and populate a collection of values for
configuration. The module's name is changing to conform to the library
standards; see <URL:http://docs.python.org/library/configparser>.

This way, you can customise the execution of your program by modifying
configuration settings in a non-executable configuration file. It also
allows a cascade of overrides, for e.g. user-specific configuration
overrides or test-specific overrides, etc.

--
 \          “It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one |
  `\   trifling exception, is composed of others.” —John Andrew Holmes |