On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:37:15 +0100, Eric S. Johansson <e...@harvee.org> wrote:

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

Why do you think a smart editing environment is in opposition to coding
conventions? Surely an editor smart enough to know a variable name spoken
as "pear tree" is an instance and therefore spelled as pear_tree (to use
your own example) would be smart enough to know a variable name spoken as
"red" is a constant and therefore spelled "RED"?

no. I think a smart editing environment should support a coding convention. If an editor is smart enough to track type and instance information, yes. It should be able to generate the right strings for symbols. The question is, how do we get such a smart editor. as far as I know, none exist and the smart ones so far seem to be oriented towards hand use and are almost inaccessible to speech.

But is it really possible for an editor to be smart enough