David Lyon wrote:
setuptools... as far as I can see isn't actually installed until you
install easyinstall...

That depends... I exclusively use buildout to manage my python packages, and sadly that relies on setuptools...

Pip (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip) and enstall (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Enstaller/3.1.0) seem to be forks of setuptools already...

So it looks like it's already been forked to some degree..

What hasn't happened is enough testing of pypi packages and installing
with setuptools/pip/enstall from pypi.

What needs testing?

More important for me is which of these has the most active development community. How do we judge that?

If the xmlrpc links actually "worked" on pypi...

What about it doesn't work?

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk