Previously, I wrote:
P.S. While this is a fairly obvious problem it's usually a good idea to post working code and a traceback when requesting help.

Nick wrote:
thanks for spotting the obvious errors, its my 2nd day programming
python in about 3 years.

I'm sorry, my saying it was obvious may have come off a little arrogant. My clumsily delivered point was that because it was a small snippet of code it didn't take much time to run through for someone who codes daily with Python. What you did there was a perfectly ordinary thing to do until experience teaches you how Python does things. :)

fridrick, code should be workable with the exception of the
errors...thats the whole program

You're right, I failed to say it explicitely but I was referring to the input file. In some cases, albeit not this one, problems can exist in parsing gotchas.

Regards,
Friðrik Már