Paul Simon wrote:
"Peter Otten" <__pete...@web.de> wrote in message news:h3481q$d95$0...@news.t-online.com...
Paul Simon wrote:

I"m using Mandriva 2008.1.  I have to tell you honestly that I'm not sure
exactly how I installed Python.  Originally I had installed 2.5 from RPM
but 2.6 was not available for my distro (2008.1) in RPM.  I downloaded
something from python.org and installed.  Not sure if it was tarball or
zip file.
Zip or tar doesn't matter, you are installing "from source".

Python has to find the necessary include files for tcl/tk. These are in
separate packages that you have to install before you invoke Python's
configure script.

I don't know what they are called on your system -- look for tk-dev.rpm,
tcl-dev.rpm or similar.

You may run into the same problem with other modules like readline.

Peter

Thank you Peter. I understand what you are saying but don't know how to do it. Although I installed from source, I followed a "cookbook" recipe. Could you tell me what files to execute, where they might be, and file arguments? I'm just ignorant, not stupid. ;-).

Is there a Mandriva list where you can ask such distribution-specific questions?