On 7/13/2009 9:33 AM Tim Chase said...
For example: if my values are ['a', 'b', 'c'], then all possible lists
of length 2 would be: aa, ab, ac, ba, bb, bc, ca, cb, cc.

I created a recursive program to do it, but I was wondering if there
was a better way of doing it (possibly with list comprehensions).

Here's my recursive version:

vals = ['a', 'b', 'c']

def foo(length):
    if length <=0:
        return []
    if length == 1:
        return [[x] for x in vals]
    else:
        return [x + [y] for x in foo(length - 1) for y in vals]

Sounds like you want one of the combinitoric generators found in itertools[1] -- in this case, the itertools.product() does what you describe. According to the docs, it was added in 2.6 so if you're running an older version, you'd have to back-port it

Or on systems with list comps try:

>>> V='abc'
>>> ['%s%s'%(ii,jj) for ii in V for jj in V]
['aa', 'ab', 'ac', 'ba', 'bb', 'bc', 'ca', 'cb', 'cc']

Emile