On Jul 14, 2009, at 5:06 PM, David Bolen wrote:
Are you sure?  It seems to restrict them in the same block, but not in
the entire file.  At least I was able to use both space and tab
indented blocks in the same file with Python 3.0 and 3.1.

It seems to me that, within an indented block, Python 3.1 requires that you are consistent in your use of indentation characters *for that indentation level*. For example, the following code seems to be allowed:

def foo():
<TAB>if True:
<TAB><SP><SP>x = 1
<TAB>else:
<TAB><TAB>x = 2
<TAB>return x

But replacing any of the first tabs on each line with 8 spaces (without replacing them all), which previously would have been allowed, is now an error.

-Miles