On 2009-07-21 14:21, Lucas P Melo wrote:
Hello,
I would like to know how much it costs to insert an element into a list
using this operation:
a[2:2] = [ 1 ]
i. e, what is the complexity of the operation above (given that len(a) =
n)?

O(n). Python lists are contiguous arrays in memory, and everything after the insertion point needs to be moved. Raymond Hettinger has a good talk about the implementation of Python lists and other container objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYUsssClE94
http://www.pycon.it/static/stuff/slides/core-python-containers-under-hood.ppt

--
Robert Kern