Mark Tarver wrote:
<snip>

Use dos2unix for conversion of the longer file and try again:
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_dos2uni.htm-Hide quoted text - - Show quoted text -
That sounds the ticket - but is there anything that runs under Windows
to do the trick?

Mark- Hide quoted text -

OK, got a version

http://www.bastet.com/

has dos2unix.exe for Windows.  And it solves the problem.

Many thanks all for help on this baffling error

Mark

I use metapad for simple text editing, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metapad

It's free, loads very quickly, and has a number of features I like. One of its trivial features is to read/write files in four different formats. In the file menu, you just choose what file-format you need now.

Another thing I'd point out is that some ftp programs will do this conversion as the file is being sent between a local DOS machine and a Unix machine on the internet.

DaveA