On 2009-07-26 18:23, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:08 +0200, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

Only modules, classes, and functions/methods can have docstrings
associated with them.
For anything else, you have to use comments; or you can mention them in
the docstrings of related things.
While this is technically true, writing docstrings to constants (module
or classlevel) works when one uses tools such as epydoc to generate
documentation.

I've never used epydoc, so I'm not sure what you mean. Presumably it uses
source code analysis to detect:

CONSTANT = 42
"""This is a constant."""

even though the string is ignored by the compiler.

Is that correct?

epydoc 3 can actually parse the file to grab comments with a "#:" marker:

#: This is a constant.
CONSTANT = 42

--
Robert Kern