Krishna Pacifici wrote:
Wow, thanks MRAB and Simon, you guys are good.

I guess I will go ahead and ask the next question that has also stumped me for awhile now.

So basically I need to loop through the values in the new dictionary and append attributes of a class object. Each of the values (and keys) represent a block in a grid with a specific location (e.g. 35 is the block in row 3 col 5) and each block is an object with several attributes associated with it. I want to call that block and append two separate attributes to the dictionary within that same key.

So again it would look something like this:

block 35 has 2 attributes, say a and b, a=2, b=5
block 37 has a=1, b=3
block 46 has a=3, b=8

the two attributes come from two different definitions within the class statement,
def detections
return a

def abundance
return b

so I would want to append to key 36 those two attributes for each block so that the resulting dictionary item would look like this: a b {36:[35,37,46], [2,1,3], [5,3,8] ...}

That doesn't look like a dictionary. Perhaps want you want is for the
value to be a list of lists:

    {36: [[35,37,46], [2,1,3], [5,3,8]] ...}

although you'd have parallel lists, ie a list of blocks, a list of 'a',
and a list of 'b'. A better format might be to keep a block's attributes
with the block itself.

    {36: [[35,2,5], [37,1,3], [46,3,8]] ...}

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. And thank you so much for all of your help thus far, I'm still pretty new to python and am enjoying all of the flexibility associated with a scripting and programming language.

[snip]