[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Robin Becker wrote:

rbt wrote:

I just want to read PDF files in a portable way (windows, linux,

mac)

from within Python.

I suppose you mean extract PDF pages and do something with them.
http://www.reportlab.com does have a tool that handles that in
Python.
It's not free though.

I imagine that you pay for a reasonable level of support.

There are indeed a number of perl modules which do that and other
modules which allow you to overprint etc etc.

You can always hand translate one of the extract perl modules. They
don't seem that hard. Alternatively put a good case to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Before embarking on that route, it might be worth looking at this page:

  http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.text.pdf/PDF_converters.html

There's a link to a (surprisingly recent) snapshot of my own package,
that can be used to read some PDF files, and another highly
recommended module. In the interests of balance, if not completeness,
I should also mention PDF Playground which has better support for
reading and writing PDF files:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfplayground/

Maybe this should also be listed on the above resources page. Cameron?
Are you reading this? ;-)

David

Thanks David. I'll see what these tools can do for me. Wouldn't you agree that it would be in Python's interest to have a standard way in which it handles (reads, writes, etc) PDF files on multiple platforms? It'd would *really* help me... I hate using Barbaric Perl scripts just to deal with PDF files, but if I must, I must.