18-08-2009 Steven D'Aprano <st...@remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:04:36 -0400, John Posner wrote:

[snip]
How about this:

  excessblk = (Block(total - P.BASE, srccol, carry_button_suppress=True)
               if total > P.BASE else
               None)

If you insist on using the conditional expression, my preference would be:

  excessblk = (
    Block(total - P.BASE, srccol, carry_button_suppress=True)
    if total > P.BASE else None
    )

Generally I'd prefer:

 excessblk = (Block(........) if total > P.BASE
              else None)

But it this case first line would be too long, then I'd try using:

 excessblk = (Block(total - P.BASE, srccol,
                    carry_button_suppress=True) if total > P.BASE
              else None)

or

 excessblk = (Block(total - P.BASE, srccol, carry_button_suppress=True)
              if total > P.BASE else None)

I'd use conditional expression only (rather) in situation when the first
expression-part was 'common' and the other (after else) was 'rare'.

Cheers,
*j

--
Jan Kaliszewski (zuo) <z...@chopin.edu.pl>