Diez B. Roggisch schrieb:
Simon Forman schrieb:
On Aug 18, 7:33 pm, Allan <af2...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi! I'm fairly new to Python.  I understand the basics basics but I'm
been trying to write a simple python code that will let me read input
data (such as mouse movement) from my USB port and write it in a text
file and I am so lost.  Can anyone help or direct me to some
resources?  Thank you!

This isn't exactly what you were looking for, but maybe it will give
you some ideas:

from Tkinter import *

def printMotionEvents(event):
    print "mouse coords: %i x %i" % (event.x, event.y)

t = Tk()
t.bind('<Motion>', printMotionEvents)
t.mainloop()

This script creates a little Tkinter window and then makes it so that
when you move the mouse over the window the mouse coordinates are
printed to stdout.

If it has focus.

The overall problem is hard - see e.g. this:

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2008/08/30/so-you-want-to-set-a-windows-journal-recording-hook-on-vista-it-s-not-nearly-as-easy-as-you-think.aspx

But then, there is a solution :)

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyHook/1.4/

Diez