John Machin wrote:
Erik Max Francis <max <at> alcyone.com> writes:

Ryniek90 wrote:

Is its the '|\U' literal fault in path '|C:\\Users\\Ryniek's WinSe7en\\MyNewGGBackup(2009-08-23 14:59:02).tar.bz2|' ?

What is "the '|\U' literal fault" ???

It's probably a misleading error from the OS; I would guess the problem is that the filename contains colons, which I believe is a no-no on Windows.

The colons are the problem. The error message is not from the OS; it is
concocted by Python (see fileobject.c) as what appears to be the best possible
text given  vague error reporting by Windows. I don't understand "probably a
misleading error [message]" -- invalid mode (actual value) or filename ->
invalid something-obviously-not-invalid or filename -> invalid filename

I also suspect the "pipe" symbol. I don't know if it's an invalid character to Windows, but it's certainly a bad idea. The '|' character means something special to the shell.

DaveA