http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/rfc.html describes (more or less) the
protocol.  It's actually pretty easy to write something which can connect
and monitor one or more channels on a server--that's how I learned network
programming in Java many moons ago.  I'd say look at the RFC and start off
logging all of your sent and received messages to the console, so if it
hangs you can see what message you've gotten and look up how to respond to
it.

-dan