On Sep 4, 2009, at 4:44 AM, vpr wrote:

Hi All

After a couple of experiments, searching around and reading Steve
Holden's lament about bundling and ship python code, I thought I'd
direct this to to the group. I'm using Python 2.6 btw.

I've build a commercial application that I'd like to bundle and ship.
I'd like to protect some of my IP and the py2exe and cx_freeze builds
provide good enough protection for me.

I'd like to provide a build for windows and a build for linux. Windows
ironically has been easier to target and py2exe has given me a nice
build that I can ship between XP, Vista & Server on both 32 and 64
bit.

On linux I've build a build using cx_freeze which works well except
it's not really portable betweem distributions.

I've also been thinking about distributing bytcode versions but things
get tricky quickly.

Can anywone give me some pointers?

I don't know how much "critical" code you have, but you might want to look at Cython which will translate your Python into C with little change to your Python source. Of course, compiled C code can still be disassembled, but it's harder than Python bytecode.

HTH