Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 14:43:40 -0400, MacRules <macru...@nome.com>

Oracle DB in data center 1 (LA, west coast)
MSSQL DB in data center 2 (DC, east coast)

        Note that your thread subject line states MySQL... There is a big
difference between MySQL and M$ SQL-Server.

So network bandwidth is an issue, I prefer to have gzip fist and deliver the data.

I need 2 python daemons or a web service here in the future.
I will enter the Oracle table name, user id and password.
So the task is dump out Oracle data (Linux) and insert that to MSSQL.

        One: daemon implies something running in the background,
stand-alone, and not associated with any "user" type account.  IOW,
something like a server program...

        Do you really intend to create a server application that sits around
waiting for anyone to connect to it and send a properly formatted
request? What safeguards do you intend to restrict this daemon from
responding to hackers (after all, you're going to have to have an open
port to accept requests from outside).

        Second: said daemon will have to be running ON the end with the
Oracle DBMS (or, at least, within its LAN which presumably has higher
bandwidth than the long distance connection).
I can try first with 1 daemon python. Take the Oracle data file, and let the daemon connects to MSSQL (with pyodbc) and load the data in.

        I see three operations here:

1       dumping data from Oracle
2       transferring data from LA to DC
3       importing data to whatever DBMS you are really using.

        I believe, in a later post, you mention this is a one-time task. If
so, WHY worry about network bandwidth... Just let it run overnight...

        Question: does the Oracle server permit remote connections?
(dangerous unless behind a VPN type connection)

        If it does, I'd suggest the initial program should just open a
connection both the Oracle server, and the local server. Request the
contents of whatever needs to be transferred, collect the data, massage
it into whatever format is needed for the local, and insert it to the
local... Anything else will require being able to log into the remote
machine and running programs ON it. In which case you could just FTP the
data from one end to the other (assuming there is an FTP server active
on one or the other end -- or a web server address you can stuff the
files into and use HTTP to fetch them)

I have 1000 servers, and 1 time each, so it is 1000 times.
What I try to say, I do not need real-time push/pull here.

I know the manual operations, just want Python does automatically for me.

I like to see good examples on how to code daemon, signal, maybe multi-threading.

I wrote something like that in C way back. And good at shell scripts.