Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:10:39 -0700 (PDT), Chris Seberino
<cseber...@gmail.com> declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

Where regexs listed for Python language's tokenizer/lexer?

If I'm not mistaken, the grammar is not sufficient to specify the
language....
you also need to specify the regexs that define the tokens
right?..where is that?

        Pardon... I've been out of the "market", but I don't recall EVER
seeing a "regex" used in a textbook for compiler/interpreter design.

        BNF (or Pascal's bubble diagram equivalent) has always been used to
define the syntactical components in those books in my possession, and
parsers (tokenizers) were written using those implied algorithms (if the
first character is numeric or "." it starts a number, otherwise treat it
as an identifier, etc.),

In actual implementations of lexers and the lexical analysis components of parsers, regexes are fairly common. For example, from ply:

  http://www.dabeaz.com/ply/ply.html#ply_nn6

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."