En Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:21:59 -0300, Wolodja Wentland <wentl...@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> escribió:

You should probably raise this issue at the distutils-sig mailing
list: http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/distutils-sig/

I already did [1] but the distutils developers are quite busy discussing
a the new format for setup.cfg. I did not got any feedback on the
solution I developed and thought that other Python users might have a
better solution to this problem.

How do *you* deal with application data in your programs? Is there a way
that works on as many platforms as possible?

On linux, using a configuration file like /etc/fooapplication.conf
On Windows, using a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\My Bussiness Name\Foo Application. In either place, there is an entry pointing to the actual directory where data is stored. I never had the problem you want to solve, probably I'm just lucky (or perhaps my users are "geek" enough to know how to edit a config file, or dumb enough to never change the system settings...)

--
Gabriel Genellina