Sean DiZazzo wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:37 pm, Dave Angel <da...@ieee.org> wrote:
<snip>
Why not just use the subprocess module?   It's built into the Windows
distribution, and doesn't need cygwin.

DaveA

Can subprocess pass things like passwords to running processes like
pexpect can?

~Sean

I don't know what pexpect is/was capable of, since it's not apparently part of the current Python distributions. I thought it had the ability to fork or spawn a child process, with pipes connected.

Anyway, subprocess can launch a new process, with pipes optionally connected back to your code. I don't think it can attach to an already-running process.

There are things in pywin32 that might help (even for controlling GUI programs), but I suspect there'd be a big learning curve. And of course it'd then be very Windows-dependent.

pywin32 - http://python.net/crew/skippy/win32/Downloads.html
or get it as part of the ActiveState python distro. http://www.activestate.com/activepython/

DaveA