Piet van Oostrum wrote:

>> M-L> Depending on how close a country follows the Wassenaar
>> M-L> Arrangement (http://www.wassenaar.org/) OpenSSL, Python
>> M-L> and all other open-source software falls under the
>> M-L> GENERAL SOFTWARE NOTE part 2.:
>
>> M-L> """
>> M-L> The Lists do not control "software" which is either:
>> M-L> 1. ...
>> M-L> 2. "In the public domain".
>> M-L> """
>
>> M-L> If you're shipping a closed-source product that includes
>> M-L> OpenSSL, then you'd have to follow the rules in category 5
>> M-L> part 2 of the dual-use list:
>
>> M-L> http://www.wassenaar.org/publicdocuments/index_CL.html
>
> But Python is not in the public domain. Open source != public domain.
> Public domain means there is no copyright and no license attached to it,
> AFAIK.

As already mentioned in the thread, the "in the public domain" phrase
in the WA list refers to anything that is available to anyone
without restrictions to dissemination, e.g. open-source software,
freeware, etc.

For things you sell, the more restrictive cat. 5 part 2 note
applies if you ship crypto code.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 25 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/