En Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:42:11 -0300, Bahadir <bilgehan.bal...@gmail.com> escribió:

still struggling to get this right: How do I format a string that
contains single quotes in it?

Forget single quotes. Your problem doesn't appear to be related to those quotes.

I am reading a file with lines of the form:

CONT%d_VIRTMEM_REGIONS  'Container %d number of virtual regions'

and trying to format this as follows:

str % (0, 0)

It works fine for me:

py> str = "CONT%d_VIRTMEM_REGIONS 'Container %d number of virtual regions'"
py> str % (0, 0)
"CONT0_VIRTMEM_REGIONS  'Container 0 number of virtual regions'"

I get the error:

ValueError: unsupported format character '
' (0xa) at index 5541

0xa is \n, the end-of-line marker.

py> str = "test%\n"
py> str % 0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ValueError: unsupported format character '
' (0xa) at index 5

So, look in your file for lines ending in %

--
Gabriel Genellina