If you can enumerate the language of possible inputs you could
generate a unique binary representation. Against a language of size
l that would only take you O(l*n) to build the repr for a dict
and for certain repr sizes the comparison could be O(1), making
the entire operation O(l*n+l*m) vs O(n*m).

Geremy, I can't comment on the *content* of your observation on performance, but ...

This sentence reminds me of the mid-1980s, when I was learning C in order to program the very first font cartridge for the HP LaserJet printer. The escape sequences seemed to consist entirely of ones and small ells and zeros and capital ohs -- apparently designed for maximal confusion. Was it around that time that the word "pessimal" was coined?

-John