On 2009-10-05 12:42 PM, Buck wrote:

With the package layout, you would just do:

    from parrot.sleeping import sleeping_in_a_bed
    from parrot.feeding.eating import eat_cracker

This is really much more straightforward than you are making it out to be.

As in the OP, I need things to "Just Work" without installation
requirements.
The reason for this is that I'm in a large corporate environment
servicing many groups with their own custom environments.

The more ad hoc hacks you use rather than the standard approaches, the harder it is going to be for you to support those custom environments.

Your solution requires work and knowledge on the user's part,

*All* solutions require work and knowledge. There is no free lunch. The advantage of standard Python packages is that they are understood the best and the most widely.

but Stef
seems to be actually solving the complexity problem. It may seem
trivial to you, but it's beyond many people's grasp and brings the
usability and reliability of the system way down.

Like Stef, I was unable to grasp how to properly use python packages
in my environment even after reading the documentation repeatedly over
the course of several months.

I do believe that you and Stef are exceptions. The vast majority of Python users seem to be able to grasp packages well enough.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco