Joe wrote:
Thanks for your response.

Please provide more information

The Python 3.1.1 documentation has the following example:
Where? I could not find them

http://docs.python.org/3.1/howto/unicode.html#unicode-howto

Scroll down the page about half way to the "The String Type" section.

The example was copied from the second example with the light green
background.

Which interpreter and system? With Python 3.1 (r31:73574, Jun 26 2009,

Python 3.1.1 (r311:74483, Aug 17 2009, 16:45:59) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
(AMD64)] on win32

Windows 7 x64 RTM, Python 3.1.1

For the reason BK explained, the important difference is that I ran in the IDLE shell, which handles screen printing of unicode better ;-)

The important lesson for debugging, which I forgot also in my response, is to separate creation of a (unicode) string from the printing of such. You are not the first to get caught on this.

IE,

>>>s = <expression>
>>>print(s)

Do you do a search in the issues list at bugs.python.org?

Yes, I did not see anything that seemed to apply.

tjr