Philip Semanchuk wrote:

On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:41 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:

Lawrence D'Oliveiro schrieb:
In message <mailman.2268.1256841007.2807.python-l...@python.org>, Christian
Heimes wrote:

On Linux and several other Unices the suffix is .so and not .pyd.

Why is that? Or conversely, why isn't it .dll under Windows?

.so is the common suffix of shared libraries on Linux. IIRC Python
extensions have .pyd on Mac OS X.

I've never seen a .pyd under OS X (although that doesn't mean they don't exist).

The Python extensions I've written in C compile to a .so under OS X.

This is true of all Python extensions on OS X. .pyd is only used on Windows.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco