Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:22:28 -0500, J Kenneth King wrote:

Adding in the loop construct and name bindings doesn't enhance my
understanding of what a dot-product is.  I don't need to see the loop
construct at all in this case.  A dot product is simply the
multiplication of each element in a vector sequence.

What you need is to define a function dot-product, and not hijack the name for a local value. Then the function's implementation is irrelevant to you: it could use a list comp, or could use map, it could use a for-
loop, a while loop, recursion, or black magic:

scalar = dot_product(vec1, vec2)

Or use the appropriate libraries:

from numpy import dot

scalar = dot(vec1, vec2)